Darrell, in Cuba, IL, wrote to tell me about the terrific outfeed table he made for his table saw. I was very impressed! This project shows off the growth of his woodworking skills.
I drilled some holes, added T-Nuts and Levelers to the bottom of the legs:
I milled up some dimensional lumber to build it on. Helps keep everything flat. This is my youngest “Hayden”. He generally doesn’t last this long out in the shop…Still trying to work with him:
The supports are half-lapped so they interlock. Made glue up go sooo much smoother this time. I cut them to final length as I was assembling a dry fit, in case there were issues with them lining up:
This is it in all its glory. I attached the top with L-Brackets (easy to take apart. Too heavy to move by itself anyway). It’s 73″l x 42″w x 34 1/2h. The top is 3 1/2″ thick. The bottom shelf is notched into the legs. The corner legs were tricky, but any error is concealed by the bottom stretcher. The legs are 3″ x 3″ x 31″. Heavy!! I sprayed on 3 coats of poly for protection, and 1 coat of wax to make it nice and slick. Cuts are sliding much better now:
I replied to him, and he wrote as a follow-up:
Thanks for the compliments. I am very pleased with the results. The base was one of the most challenging glue-ups I’ve had to make sure everything was square. I used Titebond II Extend glue because of the complexity and the numerous parts involved. When it was dry, I took off all of the clamps, moved it to the floor and measured for square (corner to corner in an X pattern) and they both read 67 3/4″!! I was pretty proud of that.
I got going a little too fast and forgot to take pics of the middle slats for the table and how they interlocked. Sorry 🙁 . If you do make one in the future, I would definitely take the time to interlock them. It makes the glue-up sooo much easier. I used little 6″ slats last time and toe-nailed them in but it was a royal pain. As for the table itself, the design is rock-solid. It’s definitely not something that will be moved around.