Where: Pheasant Run Resort, St Charles, IL
When: August 14-16, 2009
Why should you attend?
This is a terrific chance to receive face-to-face instruction from some of the best woodworkers in the nation. You also get to join acclaimed furniture maker Thomas Moser for a keynote speech about the art and technique of his exceptional creations. Finally, many of us look forward to at every opportunity, to test drive some of the world’s best tools at the event – this is one of those times.
Keynote Speaker: Thomas Moser of Thos. Moser Cabinetmakers
Tentative sessions in the following three major categories:
The Mechanics of Furniture Design:
- What SketchUp Can Do for You
- SketchUp Hands-on Clinics
- Measure Twice, Measure Not at All
- Q&A Sessions With Jim Tolpin
- Understand Furniture Styles & Details
Understand Furniture Styles & Details:
- Arts & Crafts Style: The Unadorned Truth
- Q&A Session: Arts & Crafts
- Early American Furniture: Anatomy of a Masterpiece
- Q&A Session: Early American Furniture with Jeffrey P. Greene
- Shaker Furniture: What it Really Looks Like
- Q&A Session: Real-deal Shaker with Jerry Grant
- 20th-century Furniture: Why You Should Like It
- Q&A Session: 20th-century Furniture with Oscar Fitzgerald
Construction, Joinery & Details:
- Greene & Greene: Hidden Secrets to Visible Joinery
- Q&A Session: Greene & Greene Details and Joinery with Jim Ipekjian
- Early American Furniture: Casework & Detailing
- Q&A Session: Period Construction with Jeff Headley and Steve Hamilton
- 19th Century Joinery: The Transition from Hand to Power
- Q&A Session: The Transition from Hand to Power with Don Williams
- Composing with Wood Grain
- Q&A Session: Grain & Design with Brian Boggs
The Marketplace will be open all three days; top toolmakers will be on hand to discuss and share their wares.
I had a chance to attend the first of the Woodworking in America happenings last November, in Berea, KY. And I am already looking forward to this first event of 2009. The second Hand Tool Conference will take place October 2-4 2009, in Valley Forge, PA.