From Leigh, as I received this additional information:
The Super FMT was designed as a lower cost alternative to the current FMT, continuing the trend to more affordable jigs, established with our Super Jig line of dovetail jigs. We anticipate both models of our mortise & tenon jigs coexisting and appealing to two market segments; those who want the best and those whose needs and budget dictate a compromise.
The original FMT was introduced in 2002 and was an immediate success in markets around the world. The FMT was, and is today, manufactured from many costly CNC machined and precision cast parts.
The Super FMT’s design is based on the functionality and exacting standards of the original but with redefined manufacturing processes, resulting in dramatically reduced manufacturing costs. Most of the Super FMT components are lower cost CNC Punched and formed steel or injection moulded plastic. All of the guides and bits used with the original are common to both jigs, and the commonality of parts further contributes to lower costs.
Sharing the same joint guides and bits allows the Super FMT to produce the same vast array of mortise and tenon sizes from unbelievably small joints to massive 5” joints. Like the original, The Super FMT also shares special joint guides for louvers, “Y” axis or right angle mortises, and square tenons.
• Over 70 sizes of mortises and tenons
• 21 Joint Guides 1/4″ set, 5/16” set, 3/8″ set and 1/2″ set (five, 5/16” joint guides included with jig)
• Square tenon guides, Louver guides and Y Axis Mortise guide
• Angled and compound angled joints
• Single, double (tandem & side-by-side), triple and quadruple joints
• Joint sizes from tiny 1/16” x 1/8” to massive 1/2″ x 5″
• Recordable, repeatable joint fit adjustment
• Works with virtually any plunge router
• Heavy gauge rugged steel frame
• Multi position clamping
• Clamp boards up to 3” x 5”
• Easy and precise joint sighting
• Universal sub-base that attaches to virtually any plunge router
• Five 5/16″ joint guides (5/16″ by 1/2″, 3/4″, 1″, 1-1/4″ and 1-1/2″), which can make over 21 sizes of mortises and tenons
• Joint guide stand
• 5/16″ HSS spiral upcut bit w/1/2″ shank (Leigh No. 170-500)
• Two “F” clamps – 3” thickness capacity
• Adjustable side stop fence for tenoning
• 1/8” hex driver
• Mounting hardware
• Illustrated user guide
Super FMT: $449.00US, $449.00 Canadian
Availability – Late October 2009