The surfaces of the dust cover were very smooth, and ready for toning; this meant that sanding was thorough. As I mentioned in an earlier article, I want to apply a dark color to the outer surfaces of the cover; a dark color will minimize the amount of light that reflects from the floor, making it easy on the eyes during long work sessions. The inside surfaces will get a good wax coating, using Renaissance wax.
To prepare the toning finish, I simply mixed a water solution of a Lockwood dye into the Target Coatings’ Emtech 2000wvx waterborne alkyd varnish, waited one hour, and sprayed it on. Another coat or two tomorrow after light sanding by hand, and the dust cover will be ready for final assembly. The final color should be a dark reddish brown, just perfect for the underside of the desk.
Warning: Don’t let the clean looks of the finishing room fool you. I spent a day and a half over the past weekend cleaning very fine dust from all surfaces. The HVAC repair man was here a while back to repair the furnace, and we managed to shake loose a bunch of dust; of course, the dust found its way into the finishing room, via the ducts. I had to install some filter material at the registers, to minimize or eliminate the bulk of this super fine dust. And the furnace got a new 4-inch thick filter.
A housekeeping tip: Don’t delay clean-up of a critical area, like a dedicated finishing room or a semi-dedicated finishing area or booth. I waited too long; but the day and a half I spent cleaning the room paid off, as dust nibs were virtually nil during today’s spraying sessions. The finish on the dust cover surfaces are nice and smooth. Only a bit of sanding will be required before I apply two new layers of topcoat tomorrow.
— Al Navas