It is not every day we get something for free. But today is one of those days, because you will get something for free – simply join the Sandal Woods social network, and participate. Make sure to watch the video at the end of this article to get an idea of the new, FREE “stuff” within this web site.
Today I launch two new things at Sandal Woods:
- A social network, very much like Facebook, with areas for Members, Groups, and discussion Forums. At the end of April I will select a Winner for the best title of the Network. Read the announcement in the Members section.
- A Guest Author program, in which Members of the Sandal Woods social network have a chance to publish their own blog entries, featuring their own work.
The Facebook-like area:
What does this mean? Read the following — it is free, and will always remain free! If you are not familiar with Facebook, the following will help you:
- The new social network is fully integrated into the web site. This means that, once you sign on (log on), you will have access to all the features, except writing your own blog entries. However, I do invite Members to write their own articles (see the second announcement, below).
- The social interaction happens within the web site, and is seamless with all other content.
- It allows Facebook-like interaction between and among Members, such as befriending other Members, as well as the use of Forums, or simply publishing notes to alert others of items of interest.
- The site will have global, personal, and Group activity streams with threaded commenting, direct posting, favoriting (making an item a “Favorite”), and @mentions (mentions about, or of Members). All these activities have their own, full RSS feeds, and email notification support.
- Powerful public and private or hidden Groups allow Members to break the discussion down into specific topics. I have already created several Groups and items within them, to kick off the new social medium of the web site; however, I welcome and encourage Member suggestions, as we are likely to be in flux until the Groups are finalized.
- It lets the Members make connections, so they can track the activity of others, or filter on only those Members they care about.
- Private Messaging (PM) allows Members talk to each other directly, and in private. It is not just limited to one-on-one discussions; all Members can send messages to multiple recipients.
- Full-powered discussion Forums are built directly into Groups, and allow for more conventional, in-depth conversations.
And another new program – Guest Author
Members who wish to publish their own blog entries are encouraged to do so; in fact, effective today, I am also launching another new program at Sandal Woods. The new program will allow Members who do not have a blogging platform to show off their work in writing, including photos and/or video. I will work with all Guest Authors, to walk them through the steps required to publish their material. I will also be glad to help with the details of uploading video and photos, etc., required to publish a meaningful article.
The new programs at Sandal Woods will make the web site unique in the woodworking community. Members will be at the heart of all happenings. I will keep full editorial control, responsible for all content. I ask only that Members be civil to each other, and to the readers of the Sandal Woods blog.
— Al Navas
Video demonstrating the new web site features
Duration: 9:44 minutes