I have no idea what this hand saw is, or what it was used for. However, here are some things about it:
- 18-inch plate
- The medallion says H, DISSTON & SONS. – Philada (there is a period after the word SONS).
- I have no idea what the wood is. It might be apple.
- The teeth appear to be filed for rip cuts, 5-6 TPI. Some of the teeth appear a tad shorter than others. Maybe a previous owner did not know how to sharpen a hand saw? Or maybe I know nothing about hand saws? I admit it – I don’t!
- The teeth are not in a straight line, as the last photo shows. Did someone screw up the teeth during several sharpening sessions?
- The screws are brass; they don’t require a special tool to remove, as the slot is straight.
I appreciate your help identifying this saw. Is it a panel saw? Thanks for your help!
— Al Navas