Preparation for the cradle glue-up involved several dry runs, to cover every eventuality that might come up. In the end I did not use cauls on the corners, as the I have cork on the clamp heads:
I cannot remember a previous glue-up of a large carcase going as smoothly as this one. Not only did the joinery slide nicely and easily, but it was tight. And all corners were perfectly square:
I used blue tape to hold in place the thin spacers I made to get proper spacing for the shiplapped boards:
Now that everything is in place I can drill the sides and shape the handles. I wanted the entire carcase assembled so I can get the center of gravity accurately. In my opinion this is required, as I always like the client to not have any surprises when lifting an item. If the center of gravity is off, it can result in unpleasant results and even injury if the cradle or other heavy item tilts unexpectedly.
Stand by for further work. As I near completion, I can feel the crescendo that normally peaks as I apply the last coats of finish on a project. My hands are itching to get to the finishing process to get this one ready, in the event the baby calls early!
Read more articles on the build of this cradle by clicking on this link.
— Al Navas