I invite everyone to visit the WoodNet woodworking forums, to read about the contest to “…Get yourself a single construction grade 2″ x 6″ x 8′ and make something beautiful out of it…” The contest ends at midnight tonight; the winner in each of four categories will be announced in the next few days. My “curvy table” entry is located here; the thread has been read over 3,000 times!
I encourage everyone to participate in these contests and challenges. Why? Because they are important to each of us in several ways:
- We are pushed to meet a deadline in the shop
- We are moved to “think out of the box”
- They move us to try things we might not try otherwise
- There is nothing to lose, other than a few hours’ worth of our time, in return for several hours of enjoyment focused on a single objective
- Beginners and advanced woodworkers participate on equal footing, regardless of experience, tool availability, or skill set — only creativity, and a desire to produce the best within one’s ability
What do you think of the entries in the WoodNet 2 x 6 contest? Which will likely win in the various categories?
I would love to hear from you what you think about these contests and challenges. Will you participate in the upcoming Lumberjocks Summer 2010 Woodworking Awards?
— Al Navas